International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Monday 16 December 2013

What has been like for you to study engineering?

MEng Mechanical Engineering
Written By:
Ali Riaz

I had discovered it in the early years of my higher education that the solution to quench my thirst for knowledge is to pursue a career in engineering. I strongly believed that opting for such a degree will facilitate me in accomplishing my passion and following my dreams.

It is exciting to discover the fundamental properties of the world that we are living in, and to reveal the internal structure of the appliances that we are using every day. Being interested in the fundamental nature of matter, I enjoy viewing things from its smallest units and hence to develop a complete picture of those things. Almost any technology we take for granted today involves engineering: from mobile phones to space shuttles, engineering certainly has a great impact on our daily lives. Increasingly, over the last few years, I have become drawn to engineering and the wide range of possibilities that studying in this field can offer.

Studying mechanical engineering may be like watching paint dry for one individual but for other it might be the most fascinating course. I believe if you are studying in your desired field then you enjoy each every moment of your course.

Now when I’m studying Mechanical engineering, I feel accomplished as I have been enrolled in a course which I always wanted to study. Now I can turn my imaginations into reality. Good thing about Sheffield is that they focus more on practicality of the subject and prepare us more for the practical field. We are not only confined on just reading the theory of the subject rather we have labs which not only give us the experience of working in a laboratory but also strengthen our concepts of the subject.

Engineering is a field for independent thinkers who using their creative minds invent new ways to the problems of the world. I feel proud to be in this field as it not only gives you a degree but would polish your teamwork skills as well. We get a number of projects to work with in a group. This not only teaches me teamwork but also polishes my time management skills. You make yourself more disciplined.

 The most fascinating thing about engineering is that it’s not necessary that there would be only one solution to a problem rather there could be countless solutions and all of them are acceptable, hence it encourages you to think differently and give a more effective solution to the same problem. People usually think that engineers don’t usually have a social life, I believe that this is far from reality. If you learn to set your priorities and successfully manage your time between studies and social activities then surely you can have a strong social life as well. You can enjoy life to its full provided that you are well managed.

No doubt, becoming an engineer is not an easy task. You have to do a lot of hard work but I believe that this hard work would pay off one day. And then after completing my degree, I would be more focused and would have strong logical thinking. I would be able to see thing from the perspective which ordinary people can’t even think off.

So, for me it has been really good experience being an engineering student and I hope it would be the same for you.

 If you love to explore and ponder over the creation of every single object, then this engineering field is suitable for you. Trust me, it would broaden your thinking horizons.
This short line from Prakhar Srivastav sums up everything about engineering in a nutshell.

"Engineering is not only study of 45 subjects but it is moral studies of intellectual life.” ― Prakhar Srivastav

No comments:

Post a Comment