International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Wednesday 25 March 2015

Meet our International Engineering Ambassadors: Dami

Name: Dami


Department: Engineering

Course: BEng Chemical and Biological Engineering

Nationality: Nigerian









What was your favourite subject in school?
I enjoyed maths and chemistry.
How did you decide what degree course to take?
I have a thing for problem solving. Initially I was debating on either forensic chemistry, mathematics or chemistry. While I was researching these 3 degree programs, I came across chemical engineering. I was excited as it involves both maths and chemistry.
What advice would you give to people about to choose a university course?
Do lots of research, there are many degrees out there. Make sure it is along the line of your interest because you might get frustrated sometimes; your interest will make you stay enthusiastic.
What inspired you/Who inspired you to follow this route?
The continuous study of both maths and chemistry through this route.
What do you particularly enjoy and why?
I enjoyed the global engineering challenge week. It was like experiencing a glimpse of a life of an engineer. I was put in a group and given a life situation in order to find a solution. Also, it is an opportunity to meet new friends in other engineering discipline.
Best job/most fun/most fulfilling/challenges.
So far, my favourite job would be conducting accommodation tours. I enjoy doing this as I get to interact with prospective students; I discover interesting things about people while doing this. Also, the pay is motivating...haha!
How is studying your subject or methods of learning different at university than at school?
There are less teaching hours at university compared to school. I attend lab sessions weekly and reports must be submitted within a week prior to the day of the lab session. I observe more self-study at university compared to school.
What are your plans for the future/dreams/goals?
At the moment, I am considering either working in a food, pharmaceutical or oil and gas industry. Hopefully, I will own a small scale oil and gas company in my home country. I plan to go on to masters degree after my graduation.
What do you like to do when you are not working on your degree?
I love volunteering in a young people’s environment. I am a huge fan of sci-fi serial movies. I recently took up swimming classes and gym sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment