International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Friday 24 April 2015

MEET OUR INTERNATIONAL ENGINEERING AMBASSADOR : ASHWIN C ASHOK



Name: Ashwin Chithraveni Ashok
Department:  Aerospace Engineering
Course: MEng in Aerospace Engineering with a year in Industry.
Nationality: Indian




















A bit about myself:
Hey, I am Ashwin Chithraveni Ashok from the southernmost tip of India-Kanyakumari. I am pretty sure you are wondering about my long name which is quite hard to pronounce. But the fact is that, guys with long name are usually more romantic and so I am: p. Oh brain don’t be distracted, please let me stick to these details. As mentioned earlier, I am a first year undergraduate student of Aerospace Engineering who enjoys the university life here in Sheffield. Do I really enjoy it? Of course I do.

What was your favourite subject in school?
I enjoyed almost all the subjects in my school but maths, history and computers were much close to my heart.

How did you decide what degree course to take?
Since I was young, I had an ambition in life which I wanted to pursue when I grew up. So it was pretty easy for me whilst taking the degree course. But later on like every students even I was confused about choosing the course between Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering. I was motivated further to choose Aerospace Engineering when I received the Armstrong award from my school (Excel Central School). After all, “Sky is not the limit when there are footprints on the moon”.

What advice would you give to people about to choose a university course?
I would politely ask you to do a lot of research of your own before choosing any university or the course that you wanted to pursue. This is because as a student we need to know about the structure of the course before we start studying. After all it’s your life and you need to take extra special care, as this could determine your upcoming future. “Today is the result of the actions you did yesterday”.

Hobbies:
Being a foodie by birth, I love cooking and eating new kinds of food. Since living in  Sheffield, I have learned to cook myself using the youtube videos and now I can cook some yummy Indian recipes. Apart from eating and sleeping, I love doing volunteering activities for the Sheffield volunteering hub and other local organisations over here. I especially, I enjoy the volunteering activities with kids which makes me feel young and dynamic. Apart from this, I love playing chess, volleyball,spending time at gym and dancing tamil kuthu style.

What are your plans for the future/dreams/goals?
My first year was awesome, fulfilling all the plans that I pre-planned before coming to UK. My plans for the second year are to get a paid internship which relates to my discipline and also I want to be on the committees of my favourite societies in the Students Union. My ultimate goal is to work for NASA and ISRO and then finally start my own business. 

Where can you find me in the University?
Usually aerospace lectures are held at St. George’s Church and Stephenson building. But you can rarely find me over there. Instead just check me on any social medias you use and if not somewhere in Students Union or Information Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment