International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Tuesday 12 May 2015

MEET OUR INTERNATIONAL ENGINEERING AMBASSADOR: ELSIE BADERINWA


My name Is Elsie Baderinwa and I’m a first year electrical and electronic engineering student. I’m from Nigeria, but I’ve been in England for a little over 2 years now because I was doing my A-levels in Brighton.  

What was your favourite subject at school?
I’ve always enjoyed maths and the sciences the most!

How did you decide which course to take?
Deciding which course to take was actually very hard for me. In fact when I applied to the university, it was for medicine. I was then offered a place for biomedical science, which I knew I didn’t want to do. So it was a very stressful an confusing period for me. But I’ve always really enjoyed maths so I KNEW I definitely wanted to do some sort of engineering, but deciding which in particular, was the problem. I finally settled on electrical and electronic engineering after several- very long- conversations with my dad. And I can honestly say I’m very happy with the path I ended up choosing. :D

What advice would you give the people about to choose a university course?
Think long and hard about it, and make sure it’s a field or subject you really enjoy, because even after university, you’re going to be doing it for a very long time.

What or who inspired you to follow this route?
My father actually was the one who supported me and gave me advice and as much information as he could. He is actually an electrical and electronic engineer as well, haha. 

How is studying your subject or method of learning at different at university than at school?
The major difference is the complete independence. You have to decide for yourself to do the work and put the effort in because no one will put pressure on you to do it. It’s your decision to go to lectures, pay attention, ask questions, do your work and hand them in on time. But if you don’t, you’ll have to deal with the consequences on your own. 

Best job/ most fun/ most fulfilling/ changes
To be honest, what I find the most challenging so far, are the labs. Well at least initially. When I try to read the lab sheets beforehand, I usually don’t really understand anything and I get a bit overwhelmed, lol. But it’s okay, because once you actually get into the lab and start doing it, after a little while,  you begin to get into it and actually understand a bit more, what you’re doing. 

What do you like to do when you’re not working on your degree?
I’m a bit of a homebody, so I like to stay in and read a novel or watch some tv shows. But I also really enjoy being around people so I like to go out with friends. I really like to be active as well so playing a friendly game of rounder’s or basketball, just generally any sport that involves a bit of running around with friends  :D.




No comments:

Post a Comment