International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Sunday 28 February 2016

Meet our International Engineering Ambassador: Balgovind Ranjith



Name: Balgovind Ranjith

Department: Civil and Structural Engineering

Course: BEng Civil and Structural Engineering with a year in industry



Where I’m from

I'm originally from Kerala, a beautiful slice of land on the western coast of India, lined with white beaches and coconut trees. And like the stereotypical Malayalee (people who come from Kerala), I’ve lived in the Middle East as well. I was raised in Dubai and lived there for the majority of my life. Three years back I moved to Mumbai, a city that represents the true spirit of India, a city I didn’t even realise how fast I fell in love with.


Favourite subject in school

Easily maths. I love logical thinking and however nerdy you may find this, I love that thrill you get when you get a hard maths question correct after working through pages of numbers.


Deciding what degree course to take

Being raised in Dubai, an ever changing city with new, striking buildings popping up by the day. For a long time, I knew I wanted to be related in some way in making these mega structures. My father is a structural engineer and his whole stream seems so interesting to me, especially when he describes all the projects he has done and the innovations in engineering that has been made to allow crazy structures like the ones in Dubai. This led me to choose Civil engineering as my bachelor’s degree.


Why I chose the University of Sheffield

I chose The University of Sheffield after months of research on the internet and visiting countless numbers of university fairs. It is among the top 10 universities in the UK for Civil Engineering. What persuaded me even more was the merit scholarship I received from the British Council for my studies at the university.


What I like about Sheffield

Although I haven’t been in Sheffield for too long, I really have come to love this city. Maybe it is how interesting my course is, or maybe it is how awesome the friends I have made here are. My ongoing project now is to build a model bridge in the project lab space with wood, paper, string and foam and analyse how this bridge works (or doesn’t). For this project we get to use CAM tools like laser cutters, 3D printers and many other machinery. It becomes a lot more interesting to learn when you have the ability to make structures and do things by hand rather than watch a video or read a textbook. Another part that I love about my choice of coming to The University of Sheffield is The Diamond, that building is just an absolute beauty.

Hobbies
I like food! I don’t think that’s a hobby but I really do like food. Since I started living by myself here, I’ve had the chance to learn many more recipes and try new things out (most of which taste horrible). Apart from that I love drawing, painting, watching movies, TV shows, web designing and playing around with technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment