International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Thursday 10 March 2016

Meet our International Engineering Ambassador: Leticia Campello


Name: Leticia Campello

Course: Mechanical Engineering

Nationality: Brazilian









Background
I am Leticia Campello, first year student of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield. I am from Recife, a city in the northeast of Brazil. I have always dreamt about studying overseas and fortunately, I had the opportunity to move to Sheffield. This was the biggest decision in my life so far, as I was already studying mechanical engineering in a university in my city and I decided to “start all over again” coming to University of Sheffield. To be honest, it was scary to leave my city where I had never been more than a couple of months away, to study in a different country on the other side of the ocean. However, I felt like I was at home since the day I arrived here.

Why Engineering?
I did not know I wanted to study engineering until high school.  I do not really know what made me have this change of heart but I still remember how I felt during my maths and physics classes: excited and mind-blown. I did some research about engineering, especially mechanical engineering, and I decided this was what I wanted to do for life.

Why UoS?
I had in mind that I wanted to study in the UK but was not sure which university. I spent a couple of months doing some research about universities’ ranking and I found out that The University of Sheffield was one of the best in mechanical engineering. When I did my further research about UoS, I found out it has everything that I always wanted at a university and, I do not want to be cheesy, but I literally fell in love with the university.

Teaching and study methods at Sheffield
When I first got here, it was a shock - a good one - for me to see how different everything was from my university in Brazil. The thing I like the most at UoS is that you have a lot of support from your tutors and mentors, they are there for you to help you with anything you might need. The other aspect about UoS is how every modules are linked to each other and how important real life problems are to the modules, how the lecturers always bring real life example so that we can understand clearly about what the module is about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment