International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Tuesday 15 March 2016

Meet our International Engineering Ambassador: Shunzi Wu

Name: Shunzi Wu

Course: Aerospace Material

Nationality: Chinese














Background
Hello, I am Shunzi Wu. You can call me Darcy. I have a wide range of interests and hobbies. I love to oil paint, dance, cook, do calligraphy and sinology. I also have interest in European literature, classical poetry, music, science and traveling. If you are interested in any of them, you are very welcome to join me and my friends. I have started a Sinology Society, you can join if you are interested, I assume we will be having fun together.

Why engineering?
I was amazed by a photo that showed the Large Magellanic Cloud with which I instantly fell in love. Hence, I 'Baidued' (Chinese version of google) it up on the internet and came across some more gorgeous images such as nebulae and Crab Nebula. I believed those images were a great inspiration for fashion designing dresses, high heels, hair and make up style. Also, they seemed to be fit for creating art such as oil painting and source of music too -because some music was playing at the back of my mind as I saw those images.
It made me wonder what outer space was like? And I began to read books about it. Funny though, I feel the more I read, the less I know. I became deeply attracted by the amazing knowledge and grew curious about all of the concepts surrounding the theme; except Chemistry. Hence, I decided to study something based on Aerospace or Astronomy. I hoped to go to space and see firsthand what it really looks like. I concluded that maybe all we need is something to take us (the common people) up there? So, I chose Aerospace Material for bachelor degree. I am also considering Astronomy and Astrophysics for PHD.


Why UoS?
The University of Sheffield has a great reputation for its Engineering Departments.

Teaching and study methods at Sheffield.
If you want something, just go for it. Teaching and study methods depend on character, personality, life habits, life experience, learning type (Auditory/Visual/Tactile) and desk preference etc. Good luck in finding your piece of cake and don’t care about peer pressure or other things too much. Consider them objectively and appropriately instead. One thing I want to tell you is that people are different - you need to find yourself and be yourself. I know, it is not as easy as it sounds. It might take a long while or even a whole life span. The process will contain many different components. It might be funny, harsh, humorous, hard and unbelievable etc...
But that is just life, we all have our ways.

My opinion of Sheffield as a city.
Initially, I felt nice and cozy. Now, it as turned to be boring and cozy - just the way I feel at home. The food here is good and I like the friends I made here.

The benefits of the UoS rather than another University.
It wanted the best University for my career and so I chose Sheffield. That on its own is the biggest benefit.

What do I want to do after my degree?
Work for one or two years, take my parents to travel during that one or two years. And then continue my PHD degree.

Advice to a prospective student before coming to Sheffield.
Think about what you like and want to do. Do a good research about the courses and universities you take into consideration. Check if the degree and module descriptions look like something you will enjoy? Ask yourself whether the University is a great choice for your module and future plans. Lastly, it all ties down to is Sheffield the kind of city you will enjoy living in? Come here, achieve things you want to achieve.

Hope you will love it here like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment