International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Wednesday 11 January 2017

Meet Our International Engineering Ambassador - Ronak Sharma

Course: Computer Systems Engineering with Year in Industry (MEng)
Nationality: Indian


Hi guys!! I am from Delhi the capital city of India - a country where every great race and religion finds a home. Although being Indian, I was born in the Netherlands but lived there for only an year. I have been living in Delhi for the past 18 years. I began my journey to Sheffield in 2015 and have been loving this journey ever since. I am studying Computer Systems Engineering (don’t confuse it with Computer Science) under the department ACSE (Automatic Controls and Systems Engineering).


Initially, I was a bit confused about which engineering stream to pursue as I have always liked the combination of programming, mechanics and electronics. So, this led me to choose Computer Systems Engineering. This degree has opened up a whole new world by providing me with the opportunity to learn all these topics on a single course. Also, UoS (University of Sheffield) is the only  university in the UK that has a department dedicated to controls and systems engineering. It is also one of the best in the world!


I have been enjoying my course because of the flexibility it provides between theoretical and practical coursework. I have always liked opening things up and gaining hands-on experience. This course has provided various opportunities to do so. The laboratory sessions have allowed me to use and understand the concepts taught in the lectures whilst strengthening my practical skills. Apart from this, I was fortunate enough to receive the India Undergraduate Merit Scholarship by UoS which helped me financially and motivated me to start my journey here.


Having the UK’s best voted Students’ Union provides various opportunities to relax and take a break from academic work. There are over 100 societies and committees that can be joined to overcome your stress when times get tough. I am involved in various societies which I really enjoy and have fun but I am also able to develop various new skills.


Due to its cultural diversity, Sheffield is the second home for many students who come from different international backgrounds. Sheffield has great places to visit such as the Peak District which is on the outskirts of the city and perfect for people who love hiking and trekking. Life in Sheffield is great so you won’t get too homesick.

Finally, the advice I would like to give to you is to do a lot of research when deciding which course to pursue and which University to choose. This decision will help shape your life. From my personal experience, anyone considering doing something similar to my course, I would recommend UoS because of its high academic reputation and the numerous opportunities to participate in a wide variety of extracurricular activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment