International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Thursday 16 February 2017

Student Hotspots - Proove Pizza - by Rishi Parwani

Back by popular (pretty questionable) demand, I bring to you another gem of a restaurant my flatmates and I stumbled upon a few weeks ago. Now let’s face it, we are no strangers to the delights of pizza. We’d queue up in a blizzard for a free personal pizza Domino’s if we had to but recently, I found this perfect little pizza place and can’t wait to share my experience with you guys.

Situated on Fulwood Road perfectly located for the first years in Endcliffe or Ranmoor on their commutes to and from university is Proove Pizza. I had heard of this restaurant for a very long time and word has it that it’s one of the few pizza places in Sheffield that uses a traditional wood-fire oven so if that’s something that you’re after, keep reading.

 

Have you ever had those moments when you go to a restaurant, read through the menu and get so confused on what to order that you secretly wish you’re a vegetarian so that it’d be easier to decide what to get? Just me then? Alright. All of the pizzas sounded incredible and to make the decision even more harder, the specials menu for the day looked really appetising too. After careful consideration consisting of mental decision matrices and pros and cons list (I’m kidding, I’m not that lame…maybe), I decided to order the Funghi Pizza. This consisted of roasted Portobello mushrooms, truffle infused extra virgin olive oil, tomatoes and mozzarella. Because we were a group of people, we also ordered some dough balls to share as well as garlic bread. I must add as well that the service had been excellent up till now.



Our starters arrived and this is where I have to chime in with yet another one of my whacky observations. Where I originally come from, I associate garlic bread with separate pieces of bread with a garlic and butter spread on top however the UK is the only place in the world where I’ve seen it served in the same style as a pizza. Nonetheless, it tasted really nice and exactly the same as normal garlic bread but it’s just an interesting comparison to other places in the world if anything. The dough balls were good too albeit a tad bit burnt however we chomped up our food feeling very satisfied up to this point. The dipping sauce really did enhance the taste of the food. 

  

And finally, the main attractions were served. You can’t begin to imagine how happy I was too finally be able to try this pizza I’ve heard so much about it and I have to say that I wasn’t disappointed. The pizza bread was just cooked to perfection in the wood-fire oven with its combination of fluffy and crusty texture. Along with the sauce and the toppings, this pizza was definitely a winner and I finished it feeling very satisfied.

So there you have it. A pizza place right in the middle between the university and student halls which serves excellent pizzas. Moreover, I also noticed that the deserts looked incredible but at that point my flatmates and I were far too stuffed to even consider sharing an ice cream or a cake. To add the icing to the (unordered) cake, I must say that Proove Pizza has very reasonable prices for what it offers. With a full Margherita Pizza costing GBP5.90 you really can’t go wrong given the quantity. Bottom line, if you’re ever up for a pizza which is different to your standard Domino’s, definitely try Proove.

Address: 261 Fulwood Road, S10 3BD

Timings: 11:30am – 10:30pm from Sundays to Wednesdays and 11:30am – 11pm from                   Thursdays to Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment