International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Monday, 13 February 2017

Student Hotspots - The Steam Yard - by Rishi Parwani

Have you found that perfect little coffee shop that just effortlessly ticks all the boxes? Be it you want a perfect place for a date, a place where you can soak in a hipster-like ambiance or even just a casual setting where you can indulge in heavenly donuts with your friends? I’m happy to report that Sheffield is home to one of these coffee shops.

Situated on Division Street not very far from the Diamond, the Steam Yard is a small coffee shop tucked in Aberdeen Court that is quite easy to miss when going the first time. Believe me though, you wouldn’t want to miss it any subsequent time after! Established in 2014, the Steam Yard is another addition to Division Street’s quirky and alternative list of establishments.

So how does one objectively review a coffee shop? Well I don’t know how others would do it but I took a fellow foodie along with me so that we could order a spread of items from the menu. I went with my standard order of a CafĂ© Latte and pursued the menu for something unique to the coffee shop itself. After a bit of advice from the cashier, we ordered two Peanut Butter-Marshmallow S’mores donuts as well as a Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

Our food and drinks finally arrived and after a long (longer than I am proud to admit) session of taking photos of our food from every single angle imaginable, we finally tucked in. I have to admit though, when it comes to food photos, nothing beats a good ol’ bird’s eye view. See for yourself.


And wow, we were in heaven at this point. The s’mores donut was absolutely delightful. The texture was just incredible with the combination of the warm, gooey marshmallows and the actual donut itself. I normally gobble my food down without really giving it a second’s thought but I genuinely felt the need to eat this donut slowly so I could enjoy its texture and taste longer. It really did hit the spot and the culmination of the peanut butter and marshmallows lingered in my mouth. My friend offered similar reviews, raving about his donut and grilled cheese sandwich. The coffee, while standard, definitely hit the spot especially given how cold England can be.

I left the Steam Yard feeling very satisfied and I can’t wait to go back and try their Kronuts which everyone seems to be raving about on social media! So there you have it, a coffee shop not far from the university where you could easily walk over to during a break! Hopefully over the next few weeks I’ll be writing about some more student hotspots so stay tuned.

Address: Unit 1-2 97, Aberdeen Court, 95-101 Division St, Sheffield S1 4GE
Timings: 9:30am-5:30pm everyday







No comments:

Post a Comment