International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Friday 3 March 2017

Student Hotspots: Let's Sushi by Rishi Parwani

For those of you that know me, you’ll know that when it comes to sushi I’m slightly obsessed. And for those of you that don’t know me, I will (to your misfortune) become your best friend if you get me some sushi! I’ve tried nearly every single sushi joint in Sheffield but there’s one that I’ve surprisingly never been to before. What’s more surprising is that it’s so close to the Diamond that I’m quite embarrassed I went for the first time just last week.

So what did I end up doing on an hour long break in between labs? With a few fellow sushi-loving course mates, I went to ‘Let’s Sushi’ on Division Street. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, Division Street has an impressive list of eateries in the quirkiest of settings, there’s always something interesting food-wise. ‘Let’s Sushi’ is located right at the end of Division Street just a minute away from Sheffield City Hall. We arrived just in time for opening and quickly grabbed a table knowing how busy it gets for lunch.

What struck me about Let’s Sushi was its prices. I’m not proud of how much I’ve spent at other restaurants (it’s my favourite food guys please don’t judge me) but I have to say that these prices were the most affordable I’ve seen for sushi, such a refreshing change. ‘Let’s Sushi’ offers packaged sushi platters or separate Maki rolls that can be ordered from the menu. I decided to go for the Mixed Maki Platter (Maki is just another word for roll in Japanese) and on top of that I got something that I found really unique.

So if you look to the left of the picture below, you’ll see a salad of sorts. That salad is made up of ‘scrap’ sushi rolls. Basically, when you make sushi, you start off with making the roll and then cutting it into smaller pieces. You always end up with pieces at the end which don’t look as good as the rest of the rolls and most restaurants tend to throw them away. However, I was really impressed with this item on the menu and how ‘Let’s Sushi’ uses these end rolls and puts them into a salad instead of throwing them away. And you know what? It was absolutely delicious and so filling. You know what’s even better? It costed just £1.45. You read correctly! My inner student was very satisfied.

My mixed maki platter was perfect as well and oh-so-reasonable at £5. It had a combination of California Maki as well as normal maki rolls. For those of you that don’t know, California Makis basically just have rice on the outside rather than on the inside as you’d normally expect. The platter had rolls consisting of crabstick, cucumbers, salmon and tempura and it definitely fuelled me up for my 4 hour Electronics lab!

I have to say, I wish I found this place earlier. With its interesting concepts, delicious sushi and very reasonable prices – I can definitely see myself becoming a regular at ‘Let’s Sushi’ and I’m already looking forward to my next visit. So there you have it, affordable sushi very close by to the uni buildings!


Location: 14 Division Street, Sheffield, S1 4GF
Timings: 11:30am – 10pm on weekdays and open till 10:30pm on weekends












No comments:

Post a Comment