International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Friday 3 March 2017

Student Hotspots: Peddler Night Market and the delights of Kelham Island by Rishi Parwani

Just when you thought there wasn’t any other restaurant or food-related event left that I could review, I bring to you what was one of the more interesting food experiences I’ve had since coming to Sheffield! Taking place on the first Friday and Saturday of every month (which is perfectly fitting for this coming weekend), the Peddler Night Market is definitely a must-attend event if you are looking for a different eating out experience.

Having grown up in the Middle East, I’m quite lucky in the sense that the weather has afforded me the opportunity to go to a lot of outdoor food markets so when I heard about Peddler Night Market, my first thought was whether or not it would rain – putting me off from going during my first year. I finally went this year and I’m so glad that I did! I will stop yacking about my life now so I can tell you a little bit more about the Peddler Night market.

Located on Kelham Island, Peddler Night Market is an event attended by masses of people from Sheffield. Essentially, the market consists of food stalls of a variety of cuisines including American, Chinese, Italian, Brazilian, British, Japanese and the list just goes on. The market is also dotted with some really funky food trucks consisting of calorie-inducing desserts and there is also a bar on site selling traditional craft beer. You can’t begin to imagine how many times I walked around the market trying to find something to eat because when it comes to food, I feel the need to make the optimal decision on what to get. My friends already had their food in minutes but I took my sweet time and finally settled for a Brazilian Linguica (sausage).


The piping hot sausage was drizzled in caramelised onions and sauce in a toasted roll. Coupled with the rainy weather, this delicacy went down like a treat instantly warming me up. It was absolutely delicious and I instantly felt satisfied with taking my time to find my dinner.
The atmosphere at Peddler Night Market is absolutely brilliant too! Despite the rainy weather, live bands were there in full force singing and playing their hearts out. There is usually also a DJ playing a set which really does make for a fun and relaxed evening out. Our dinner didn’t end there though because how can we forget dessert?

Upon recommendation from a friend, we went to the Depot Bakery situated very close by to the market in Kelham Island. I had heard of this bakery for the longest time but never made the trip down there so I was excited about finally trying it out. Depot Bakery’s hipster and surprisingly quiet ambiance was a break from the music playing outside in the market, it’s a perfect place to nip in for a coffee and catch-up after grabbing some dinner.


The donuts (pictured above) looked absolutely heavenly but I decided on trying their famous brownies which one of my friends raved about. I must confirm that the brownies were absolutely amazing, they weren’t too soft nor were they too hard and the flavours were so unique. From what I can remember, there was a cheesecake flavour, a chocolate flavour and a Bailey’s flavour – all of which were just impeccable. I definitely recommend trying them!

So there you have it, a perfect evening consisting of live music and good food, what more could you possibly want? The market will be taking place on 3rd and 4th March so don’t miss out for this month!

Location: 92 Burton Road, Kelham Island, S3 8BX

Timings: 5-11pm on Friday and 2-11pm on Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment