International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Wednesday 28 February 2018

Placement Diaries-Derailed in London by Rishi Parwani

In this new series of blog posts, I bring to you a long overdue recount of my experiences so far on my year in industry in London.
I find it funny how I spent more time trying to come up with a pun related title for this post than I did for the actual content. Lost? Don’t worry, I’ll get you back ‘on track’.  
It’s been nearly 6 months now since I’ve been on placement with the Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB) down in London and I have to say, what an experience it has been so far! I will start by giving you all a bit of background on the company I am on placement with. RSSB is member-funded organisation that carries out research projects, sets standards, promotes sustainable principles and drives to improve Britain’s rail industry. I’ll need more than a year to gain an appreciation for the sheer magnitude of the rail industry in this country – it truly is an engineering marvel and one that is so complex and intricate.
Now, as to my role. What is it that I do, you may ask? I’m currently one of the three Student Research Analysts working in the Research & Development team, writing knowledge searches and contributing to Horizon Scanning activities. Knowledge searches are requested both internally and externally from our members in industry and the topics can range from anything from detailing all the mechatronics engineering solutions used in rail, to geotechnical engineering solutions. Horizon Scanning is a new addition to the department’s portfolio and it’s all about finding what technologies and trends are on the horizon and how we can capture them before they become mainstream in the news. As a team, we’ve been going through all the latest, up and coming emerging technologies and looking at their future impacts on the rail industry and where they are used in other industries. My day can begin by looking at the impacts of driverless cars on the rail industry to figuring out the mechanical processes behind 4D printing (yes, that is a thing).
The other aspect of my job that I love is the fact that I get to live and work in London! The office is in a great location in Central London however I’ll talk more about London life in another post. As much as I do miss Sheffield, I keep thinking that I’ll probably end up missing London 10 times more when I’m back for my final year.
The work here is varied and if you’re as much of a tech geek as I am, then you’ll love this job. This is the time to get your inner engineer to shine and to show off what you know about in areas of technology ranging from driverless cars to additive manufacturing to biometrics and facial recognition.
If this placement opportunity sounds interesting to you, APPLY. The placement is currently listed on Career Connect (https://careerconnect.sheffield.ac.uk/student/jobs.html?execution=e1s2).
The deadline is March 1st so for those who are still looking for a year-long placement, you have just about a week to send your CV and covering letter to placements@rssb.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment