International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Tuesday 6 March 2018

Interview with a student currently doing internship at Magnomatics in Sheffield

By: Hemanshi Galaiya

1.Tell me a bit about yourself.
My name is Ioan-Iulian Vizireanu and I am originally from Romania. I am pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering with a year in industry and currently I am doing my internship in the 3rd year at Magnomatics in Sheffield

2. During the course of your degree did you undertake any other placements in research or industry? If yes, how was the experience?
Since I started my studies at The University of Sheffield, I have been employed by NuScale Power in U.S. There I was assigned to validate the theoretical results obtained by the mechanical team for the heat gain/loss in the cooling pool vessel. I truly enjoyed using ANSYS Fluent and CFX to model and analyse the temperature profile through the reactor. Following the summer internship, I have been employed by Magnomatics to use my skills in SolidWorks, MATLAB and ANSYS Mechanical to simulate deformation and vibrational effects in different structures. As an example, I am currently working on a simulation which measures the total deformation in a wind turbine model.

3. What does your role at Magnomatics entail?
My role is predominantly a starting point for the company’s future projects, therefore, most of my work represents revolves around concepts. I have to start analysing the concepts in order to generate data that will be further processed by the mechanical team.


4. Tell me a bit about the process of acquiring this role? Did you undergo assessment centres? How did you tackle them?
Initially, I heard about Magnomatics at one of the career fairs at The University of Sheffield. I then submitted my CV and underwent a psychometric test. The last part of the process was attending a face-to-face interview with 2 members of the mechanical team. They wanted to know about my interests in the field and what expectations I had from the internship.    

5. What advice would you give to prospective students or students who are currently looking for placements and year in Industry?
The only advice I can offer is to be honest with yourself and your employer. In my opinion, when a company is looking for an intern, they are not looking for a qualified engineer who might have worked in that industry for at least 2 years. Rather, they would like to see a smart student, who is always ready to learn and willing to improve his practical skills. Therefore, if you are interested in their specific industry, you will definitely be able to show it.


6. What is a typical day in your role like? What is the best and worst part about your job?
Usually, my day starts by looking at results gathered from a simulation I run on the previous night. I then analyse the data and compare it with theoretical values. Also, I meet with the other mechanical engineers responsible for that project and we discuss together if the simulation shows a realistic behaviour for our project. If we believe that we need more refinement in some critical points, then I have to re-mesh the model and start another simulation to run over the night.
In my opinion, there are not bad parts in what I am doing. During my interview I was asked what I would like to work on and I was allocated with my choice - ANSYS.
If I would have to choose the best part of my internship, it would be the fact that I am working on projects from different industries, such as: energy, automotive, aerospace; which offered me the chance to develop my theoretical skills in these domains. 


7. What is something exciting that you are currently working on?
Currently I am working with a company which manufactures wind turbine generators. My mission is to model a new concept in SolidWorks which uses our magnetic bearing system instead of the conventional ones. By doing so, the space required by the turbine generator would be massively reduced but at the same time I have to make sure that all the parts fit together in a proper manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment