International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Thursday 15 March 2018

Meet Our International Engineering Ambassador: Ahmed Hussam

Hello! My name is Ahmed Hussam and I study Electrical and Electronic engineering at the University of Sheffield. I am Sudanese but lived in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia my whole life.

A while before I started applying to universities I had a strong desire to study abroad in countries like the United States, the United Kingdom or Canada. After much research I decided that the UK was the best option for me, mainly because you get opportunities such as the year in industry and studying abroad in other countries.  

Later on, during my final year I made my UCAS choices and the University of Sheffield was my firm choice. I chose the UoS because I had heard about its excellent engineering facilities and also  it’s many partnerships with well-known companies that could enhance my learning process.

The visa application process was frustrating and a bit chaotic but when I eventually received my approval it made me extremely excited. When I booked my flight I began feeling anxious about going to university but that’s normal since I was moving to the other side of the world. I knew I would be experiencing huge changes in terms of lifestyle, culture, and even the weather.

I arrived in the UK with my parents a couple of weeks before my course was due to start, so I had time to settle in and explore the country beforehand. Adapting to life in the UK was much easier than I thought it would be and it didn’t take long before I knew my way around Sheffield. Although my old school had students from all over the world, the diversity in Sheffield amazed me. I would say that this diversity helped making new friends much easier along with the different societies and clubs you can join.

The Electrical and Electronic Engineering course here is extremely broad, as we have modules such as Electrical circuits and Networks, Electronic Devices, and Digital Systems Engineering which deal with completely different things. During the labs, we get the chance to experience the practical side of the course and try our best not to blow up any of the equipment. Having a facility such as the Diamond makes studying here a thousand times better, it’s the place where you can spend most of your time as an engineer. During my first year, I also took part in a clean room laboratory session where we made LEDs, this university is one of the very few universities which allow students to enter a clean room lab.

In Sheffield, not only can you continue exercising your old hobbies, but you can also get involved in new ones. If you ever get bored of the city center, Sheffield has the peak district national park where you can go hiking and it has absolutely breathtaking scenery.  

This is only the beginning, I look forward to finding out what this journey still holds.


No comments:

Post a Comment