International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Thursday 15 March 2018

Meet Our International Engineering Ambassador: Lillian Ladu

Hi. I’m Lillian, I am 19. When I was asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, I would always say I wanted to be a person who changed the world.
I was born in Kenya and lived in a small country called Botswana but I am  South Sudanese. So here I am, a little African child with dreams of changing the world I lived in. Up until I was sixteen I assumed the only way to make a difference was to become a doctor or a human rights lawyer. They save people’s lives, by giving people a second chance to give this life thing a go. I had limited 
understanding of what engineers do until I was forced to attend a compulsory career talk towards the end of high school and it changed my entire life. You see, I thought engineers just fix and build things. I had no idea engineers, engineer change and that if you wanted to help people on a larger scale this is the profession you should be in.
When I finally decided that engineering is the only thing I want to do. I now had to decide where I would do it. At the university of Sheffield you are more than just student 667 here. You’re part of a large community. The university tries everything it can to give you the best student experience possible. If you are shy, it provides you with many the opportunities to make a host of friends through the “give it a go” programs. So, you can travel around the UK at the weekend or learn a new sport for free. There are also a lot of societies geared towards improving your employability one of my personal favourites being women in engineering.

Being here has changed me for the better. I can certainly attest that the support that the university provides has allowed me to flourish and grow as an individual. I remember how confusing and stressful it was to select a university and Sheffield was the best choice I have ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment