International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Monday 5 March 2018

My Adventure on Monsal Trail in Bakewell, Peak District by Michelle Nyamai


The trail is one of the main attractions in Bakewell - a small town in the peak district, an hour away from the city centre by bus. I would say the population is mostly retirees which explains the slow paced, relaxed environment the small town gives. The Monsal trail is an 8 1/2 mile walk or for my fellow metric system users, 13.7 kilometres. It follows the path of a former railway line. I must admit it wasn’t what I thought it would be. I expected a narrow trail winding up and down the lush vegetation of the park but instead I got a level trail with gravel and cold well-lit tunnels and the occasional buildings. Underwhelming at first but with a little patience, there are no more houses along the trail. It becomes an escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.


                                                                                                                               Headstone tunnel

A word of advice, hire a bike unless you are a regular walker or hiker. A learning point for me was when I got to the end of the trail and realised I hadn’t quite thought about how I would get back. Apparently the two cycle hire companies at either end of the trail don’t work together so you can’t hire a bike at one end and return it to the hire site at the other end of the trail.

I tried my best to take photographs but phones can only capture so much of the real beauty behind the lens. They leave out the depth, the expansiveness of the environment.


Along the trail, there are footpaths that go into reserves that are inhabited by over 200 species of plants and some animals as well as insects. Just at the end of the Litton tunnel, a footpath creeps to the top of the tunnel and leads you to an amazing view of the cliffs and the river down below.


                                                                                                                            Above Litton tunnel


                                                                                                                                 Limestone kiln
Apart from the historical sites, the community is extremely friendly. As you walk along the trail, people greet you and say good morning with a smile on their faces. After the first few people you come across, you get the hang of it and before you know it your greeting people all the way along the trail.
I would recommend the trail on one of your free weekends to take in nature and free your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment