International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Friday 13 April 2018

Travelling as a Student by Saylee Jangam


Coming to the end of my University life, I have realised that one of the things I have received the most out of whilst at University is travelling. The experience of travelling and most importantly, travelling alone to a new place, can be eye-opening, making you stronger both emotionally and culturally. Over the past 4 years, I have travelled to Mexico, the United States, Belgium, France, the Netherlands and various cities across the UK. Travelling on a student budget is difficult – not only is it challenging to predict costs in a country you haven’t been to, it is even more so because you have little experience with managing money. However, there are many ways you can travel as I have, to make the most of your University experience on a student budget. And no, I’m not just talking about cheap Ryanair flights and hostels; I’m talking about competitions, conferences and other such events. Through these, not only will you achieve a positive educational outcome, but you will also build your network and maybe visit somewhere new!

In my second year, I helped initiate an iGEM Sheffield team – iGEM is an international synthetic biology competition that takes place in Boston every year, attracting over 300 participating University teams – through which I was able to visit Boston and New York City. The latter was a day trip where another team member and myself made a last-minute decision of visiting NYC on the one free day we had available before flying back to the UK. We left on an early morning bus and returned after a full day in the Big Apple. It was an exhilarating day and I think it was the limited time that made my friend and I really forget that it was going to be a tiring day and make the most of it. Thinking back now, I am so glad we made the trip because it could not have been more exciting and who knows when we’ll get to go back next! Travel tip #1: If it is feasible, DO IT. Take the chance.
Returning from the States to continue my placement, I found out about a conference that I could apply for, to attend as a delegate of the iGEM foundation. Having always been interested in debate and public speaking, attending a conference on conserving biodiversity and maintaining safety in the use of biotechnology was an interesting prospect. I was chosen to attend this conference in Mexico, all expenses paid, and found myself crossing the Atlantic once again in just under 2 months from the first. Cancun was beautiful, the UN conference was educational, and I learned so much about the process of decision making within the UN.
On my Year in Industry, I visited a friend from high school who moved to Rome for University. Travel tip #2: Use your connections to save costs. (And perhaps another piece of motivation to do a placement is saving up to travel!) On this trip, I was able to spend the bank holidays over Easter sightseeing in Rome and Naples. Whilst it was a busy time, I still managed to see the main attractions and relax at the Neapolitan seaside.
Travel does require quite a bit of effort in the form of planning time and money spent, however, its rewards will stay with you for a lifetime.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment