International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Tuesday 31 July 2018

Interview of our alumni currently working for British Steel

by Hemanshi Galaiya

A little bit about myself.
My name is Nishit. I pursued an Meng in Chemical Engineering with energy and graduated in 2016. While at Sheffield, I had several amazing experiences such as a research project. Through this I developed soft skills and academic writing which came in handy not just in my 3rd year design project but also at work.
  
Where I am now and how I got there.
Currently, I am a graduate engineer at British Steel. It wasn’t an easy journey but this was the 5th job I applied to. I had to go through a preliminary interview, an assessment centre which included problem solving and a 2nd interview which required a presentation.

Some advice for students applying to jobs…
My best advice would be what I practiced myself. I prepared for the interviews based on research as well as by going through my CV and seeking help from the Careers Advice centre and lecturers. I would highly recommend joining extra-curricular activities and trying to intern in roles within the industry that you want to join. Volunteering can be useful too.

A typical day in my role.
I am currently part of graduate scheme which allows me to work in four plant areas over 2 years with each placement for 6 months. It's a good way to learn more about the site and the processes whilst finding a career path that is right for you. Currently I am working on preparing reports which consist of Design intent of equipment at the different gas mixing stations we have on site along with the control systems that we already have on them. The gas mixing stations help in distribution of gas produced during coke making and iron making. Thus gas can then be used as an energy source for different plant areas.


1 comment:

  1. Berlitz Pakistan is Internationa Chain system offering Services for students interested in study Abroad in all countries. All services under one roof. We are Providing World Class services. We are Best in the Town. We are currently in Islamabad, Lahore and Karachi.
    Foreign Education Consultants
    Free IELTS For Registered Students
    Study Abroad Consultants in Islamabad
    Study Abroad Consultants in Karachi
    Study Abroad Consultants in Lahore

    ReplyDelete