International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Tuesday 29 November 2016

Meet Our International Engineering Ambassador: Rishi Parwani



Name: Rishi Parwani
Course: Aerospace Engineering
Nationality: British

Who am I and where I am from?
If I had to describe myself in three words, I’d say I’m a foodie, neat freak and a massive travel nut. Okay, that was more than three words but it’ll do. Hey guys, my name is Rishi and I’m a second year Aerospace Engineering student. Where am I from? Whenever someone asks me that I always give a different response because it’s one that makes a third culture kid like myself a bit nervous. Long story short, I’m half Indian, half Pakistani but born and brought up in the beautiful city of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Why the University of Sheffield?
That’s a good question. Having grown up in a sunny country, why would I pack my bags and move to England? Personally, I’ve always wanted to experience what it would be like to study abroad. I chose the University of Sheffield mainly because of how the Aerospace Engineering course is structured here. I absolutely love how I have modules from so many different engineering disciplines as it’s given me such great exposure and I feel that are so many opportunities to practically apply everything that I’ve learnt here. However, I didn’t make the decision on the sole basis of academics. Of all the places that I applied to, I felt that I resonated most with Sheffield because not only would I get the chance to experience local culture, I would also be able to immerse myself in the international culture that the university is known for.

Why Aerospace Engineering?
I do Aerospace Engineering because let’s face it, it’s pretty cool to tell people that I do Rocket Science. Alright, jokes aside, I’ve always been fond of planes from a very young age. When I was just a few years old, my dad would drive me down to this parking lot near the airport and we would watch planes take off and land. Fast forward to over 10 years later, and we still do the same. I was hooked and I was always curious with how planes flew, how they were capable of flying long distances and I was just in awe so it feels pretty awesome that all that curiosity has lead me to this chapter in my life. My dream is to work for a commercial airline one day or anywhere where I’ll be exposed to civilian aircraft.

What do I love most about Sheffield?
I love how different Sheffield is to where I grew up. I love how green it is here, there’s an abundance of parks and green spaces and let’s not forget about how close Sheffield is to the Peak District. It’s just amazing that within 30 minutes you can be surrounded by some of the most beautiful landscapes in the entire country. It’s not only that though, I love the food in Sheffield too. Being a foodie means I always venture out to find new, quirky restaurants which Sheffield is just full of! There’s so many reasons to fall in love with this city. The people I’ve met here and the friends I’ve made are just absolutely amazing. Also, being the hilly city that it is, Sheffield has done wonders to my legs!

Advice?
If this is your first year in Sheffield, get involved in as much as you can! You’re probably tired of hearing this all the time but this is the best way to meet new people and even pick up a new hobby. Also, explore the UK! There are so many amazing cities and places to visit so make the most of your time in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment